Trainings for Outdoor Leaders and Camp Staff
The Adirondack Training Institute provides certification opportunities for outdoor leaders and camp professionals each spring and summer. The training programs below are led by instructors representing nationally recognized organizations that are the authorities in their field.
Click the course title below for a more detailed course description.
- Wilderness First Responder (SOLO)Wilderness First Responder. Course led by SOLO instructor. The Wilderness First Responder (WFR) course is the recognized industry standard for those who work as backcountry trip leaders, camp counselors, mountain guides, river guides, and ski patrollers. Study of response and assessment, musculoskeletal injuries, environmental emergencies and survival skills, soft tissue injuries and medical emergencies. More advanced than Wilderness First Aid. For more information visit www.soloschools.com.
- January 13-20 2019.
- March 9-16, 2019.
- Course Tuition: $685. With Lodging and Meals: $885.
- Wilderness First Aid (SOLO)Wilderness First Aid. Course led by SOLO instructor. Learn basic first aid assessment and care protocols. Two-year certification satisfies American Camp Association requirements for leaders of overnight camping trips. Useful to guides, scout leaders and anyone who enjoys outdoor recreation. For more information visit www.soloschools.com
- April 13-14, 2019
- May 4-5, 2019
- June 1-2, 2019
- June 10-11, 2019
- Course Tuition: $190. With Lodging and Meals: $230
- Lifeguarding (American Red Cross)Lifeguarding. Course led by American Red Cross Instructor. Preventative and emergency response skills for pool and waterfront. Strong swimming skills required. Earn a two-year certification in lifeguarding and first aid and a one-year certification in CPR for the professional rescuer with AED.
- June 10-13, 2019
- June 14-18, 2019
- Course Tuition: $310. With Lodging and Meals: $440.
- Water Safety Instructor(American Red Cross)Water Safety Instructor. Course led by American Red Cross instructor. WSI certifies you as a Red Cross instructor to teach children and adults to swim including the fundamentals of instructor training.
- June 10-13, 2019
- Course Tuition: $385. With Lodging and Meals: $560
- Safe Powerboat Handling (U.S. Powerboating)Safe Powerboat Handling. This classroom and on the water course teaches safe powerboat operation and improved boat handling skills. The National Association of State Boating Law Administrators, which represents the boating authorities of all 50 states, has approved the course. Upon successful completion of the course and exam, a US Powerboating and NYS certificate will be granted.
- June 10-11, 2019
- Course Tuition: $260. With Lodging and Meals: $305
- Shooting Sports Manager (NRA)Shooting Sports Instructor. Course led by NRA instructor. The NRA certification course trains riflery instructors to teach rifle marksmanship and safely operate a camp and recreation riflery range. The full three day course is recommended for staff operating a range at a summer camp. Range Safety Officer, NRA Basic Instructor, and NRA Rifle Discipline, are all included in this course and are required by NY state Department of Health to operate a shooting sports range. The course is also recognized by the American Camp Association. Please Note: In order for you or staff to be registered in this course, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years of age.
- State and Federal regulations for training
- June 6-8, 2019
- Course Tuition: $280. With Lodging and Meals: $350
- Level 1 Archery Instructor Class (USA Archery)Level 1 Archery Instructor. Course led by USA Archery instructor. Level 1 Instructors will learn to accurately shoot a bow, teach beginner archers, manage a basic archery program and repair equipment. Recognized by the American Camp Association for archery range instructors. Includes sample lesson plans. For more information please visit USA Archery.
- June 21, 2019
- Course Tuition: $85. With Lodging and Meals: $195
- Waterski Instructor and Driver TrainingWaterski Instructor and Driver Training. Course led by Water Ski Works instructor. Learn water ski instruction skills including: safe navigation of tow boat, safe towing of skiers, effective driving techniques, equipment maintenance, regulations and standards. All participants will spend time as a skier and as a driver. For more information visit www.waterskiworks.com
- June 16, 2019
- Course Tuition: $280
- Please note that all programs run from 9AM-5PM with a lunch break.
- Full Payment due at registration for programs under $500. Programs over $500 require a 50% deposit at time of registration with the remaining balance due upon arrival.
- There will be a $25 fee for all refunds, and there will be No Refunds after two weeks prior to any course start date.
- We will email course materials out to participants prior to arrival
- Hearty, Nutritious meals are served three times a day.
- Course Tuition: Covers course fee and includes lunch.
- Lodging and Meals Price: Reflects the course fee, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as on-site lodging.
- The lodging price covers the nights in between the course dates. For instance, a two day course would include lodging for one night, in between the two days. Additional nights can be purchased on the registration form.
- For more information on The Adirondack Training Institute, accommodations, and location please see About Us.